- Speaker Series #1 (Breakfast with Brian): You’re invited to a Breakfast with Official Opposition leader Brian Jean on Friday, April 28! Please contact [email protected].
- Welcome to Rick Colliou, our new Contract Marketer. Expect to hear from Rick in the near future about CAODC advertising. You’re also free to contact him at [email protected] if you have any immediate questions about placing an ad in The Hitch, The Rig Directory, or any of our online options.
- Veterans Food Bank Golf Tournament: Their 9th Annual Golf Tournament will be held on Monday, June 19th, 2017 at the Pinebrook Golf and Country Club in Calgary. Registration and payment deadline is June 2nd, 2017. Please send all questions to Eric Nauss at [email protected].
- General Information Bulletin G-17-08 (Canada Revenue Agency N15 Fuel Excise Tax Claims): This bulletin is specific to both drilling and service rig contractors. It describes the acceptable methodologies for calculating the excise tax exemption for diesel fuel used to generate electricity on a drilling and/or service rig. Click here for the CAODC Bulletins webpage.
- General Information Bulletin G-17-09 (Changes to the Saskatchewan Provincial Sales Tax Act): This bulletin describes the changes made to the Saskatchewan Provincial Sales Tax Act, coming into effect April 1, 2017, and provides information on how to properly apply and collect PST. Full review of this bulletin and its attachments is strongly advised. Click here for the CAODC Bulletins webpage.
- Technical Bulletin T-17-03 (K1 3309 and K3 1843 TDG Permit Clarification re: Shipping Documentation and Safety Marks/Placards): This bulletin clarifies when shipping documentation and placards are required when transporting dangerous goods under the TDG K1 and K3 permits, and when this requirement has been exempted. Nothing in this bulletin alters or replaces the content of currently issued permits. Click here for the CAODC Bulletins webpage.
- Technical Bulletin T-17-04 (Determination of Abnormal or Accelerated Wear in Tubular Equipment): The purpose of this bulletin is to reiterate the wear rate characteristics of tubular equipment previously described in CAODC Technical Information Bulletins: T-95-15, T-10-02 and T-10-02A, and address the issues regarding previous life expectancy of tubular equipment versus current industry experience in relation to compensation. Click here for the CAODC Bulletins webpage.
- Industry Review: BOP & Well Control Procedures poster. The CAODC Drilling Rig BOP & Well Control Procedures poster hasn’t been updated since 2009 and we’re asking for your help in updating its content to better reflect current industry practices. Please click here for information on how to submit your feedback (log-in required).
- Industry Review: CAODC Recommended Practices. The CAODC continues to seek membership feedback for these Recommended Practices:
- RP 1.0 – Inspection and Certification of Masts (DR)
- RP 1.0A – Inspection & Certification of Substructures (DR/SR)
- RP 2.0 – Inspection & Certification of Overhead Equipment (DR)
- RP 3.0 – Inspection and Certification of Masts (SR)
- RP 4.0 – Inspection & Certification of Overhead Equipment (SR)
- RP 5.0 – Inspection & Certification of Manual Rotary Tongs (DR/SR)
To access and download the most current version of each RP, and for instructions on how to provide feedback, please click here.
CONFERENCES / WEBINARS / PODCASTS
- 2nd New Technology for In Situ Oil Sands Facilities Congress 2017: To be held on May 30-31 2017, Calgary, Canada. CAODC members get a 15% discount. More information is available here.
- Global Petroleum Show: We get a discounted kiosk rate for CAODC members! CAODC members have an opportunity to field a kiosk area at this year’s Global Petroleum Show (Calgary, June 13-15). The event organizers, DMG, are very interested in having rig technology on display, and have offered the CAODC 10 kiosks at cost. Our discounted rate for a kiosk with full hookup is $900 (regular $1,500). If you are interested in participating, please contact [email protected] for an update on kiosk availability.
- U.S. Department of commerce: You’re invited to join a Canadian delegation heading to the Offshore Technology Conference from May 1-4, 2017 in Houston, Texas. The United States Consulate General in Calgary is looking to address cross-border trade, investment, and financing within a range of traditional and innovative sectors. Their hope is to facilitate business and government connections between Alberta and the U.S, with emphasis on small and midsized firms. Thus, any SME looking to expand into the United States markets will likely benefit most from joining the Canadian delegation going down. Any firm who signs up for the delegation will receive; complimentary registration to OTC 2017, export counseling and support services provided by our team, FREE access to the international business center and lounge, and B2B networking opportunities with U.S. companies. Click here for more information.
- Payroll Podcast (Parking as a Taxable Benefit): CRA’s third payroll podcast is aimed at the payroll community and employer in general. Issues such as parking for business reasons, fair market value of a parking spot, and the definition of scramble parking are discussed. Click here for information on how to listen to the podcast.
- The Enform Petroleum Safety Conference: This year, the 66th annual Petroleum Safety Conference runs May 2-4, 2017 in Banff, Alberta. The program will examine lessons our industry and community learned from both the Fort McMurray wildfire and economic downturn. Lessons focused on emergency response, crisis communication, safety culture transformation, mental well-being and resiliency. Click here for more information or to purchase tickets.
- OR on the Road: Jess Sinclair presented at a Calgary Women in Energy meeting at the Swine & Sow (Thursday, April 20, 2017)
- OR on the Road: Mark Scholz will present at the Quality Hotel and Conference Centre in Fort McMurray, AB (Wednesday, April 26, 2017). Click here for tickets ($10)
- OR on the Road: Mark Scholz will present at the Ramada Inn in Wainwright, AB (Thursday, April 27, 2017). Click here for tickets ($10)
- OR on the Road: Mark Scholz will present at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Medicine Hat, AB (Thursday, May 11, 2017). Click here for tickets ($10)
- OR on the Road: Mark Scholz will present at the Brooks Oilmen’s Club in Brooks, AB (Thursday, May 11, 2017). (Private Event)
- Want to host an Oil Respect meet-up at your company? Please email [email protected] to set up an Oil Respect Town Hall for your company!
THE HITCH & SOCIAL MEDIA
- Spring issue of The Hitch: Click here for a story on simulation training for rigs.
- Spring issue of The Hitch: Click here for a member profile story on Pimee Well Servicing.
- Spring issue of The Hitch: Harold Lyon usually paints Western scenes…except that one time he visited a drilling rig in the early ‘70s. Click here to ready about his story.
- Please consider running an ad in The Hitch, the Hitch blog, or our Rig Inventory & Directory that is published in November. We also encourage members to consider running an advertorial or sponsoring a Hitch Report product review for The Hitch Please contact our new Contract Marketer, Rick Colliou, at [email protected] for more information.
- We Need You! We at The Hitch are always looking for story ideas and photos. Consider submitting yours to [email protected].
- Social Media: We want to hear from you! Join our conversations on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.