- Date change! Our 2017 AGM and Luncheon has been moved to Friday, March 24, 2017. Tickets will go on sale following a separate announcement next week.
- AGM/Luncheon Sponsorship: This is an early heads-up that we’re looking for corporate sponsors for the AGM and Luncheon on March 24. For more information, please contact [email protected].
- Deadline extended! (CAODC Board of Directors – 2017 Nominations): The CAODC Annual General Meeting has been rescheduled to Friday, March 24. As a result, the deadline to receive nomination forms for the Board of Directors has been extended to Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 4:30 p.m. Mountain Standard Time (MST). There are five (5) Land Drilling Contractor Member and four (4) Service Rig Contractor Member positions on the Board of Directors open for election. Contact Mark Scholz at [email protected] if you have any questions.
- New Training Video – Ending Violence Against Women: As part of the “Be More Than a Bystander” campaign, the Province, Encana and the Ending Violence Association of B.C. (EVA BC) have partnered to create a training video aimed at ending violence against women. While filmed at the Encana worksite, the video applies equally to all industries. This 30-minute training video and viewers’ guide will help employers and workers:
1) raise awareness that the effects of violence against women are not limited to the home;
2) learn about respect for all workers to foster safe and healthy workplaces; and
3) identify risks and provide information on how to respond safely in situations where violence again women is present.
Violence against women affects everyone, and impacts our worksites. We all have a role to play in standing up, and speaking out to break the silence. Please share with your members and networks through your website, social media or upcoming events. The training video and accompanying viewer’s guide is available here: http://ow.ly/mlxl308nR9i
- General Bulletin G-17-02 (OHS Scholarship Program): The CAODC Board of Directors is pleased to announce that intake for the CAODC OHS Scholarship Program graciously offered by the University of Fredericton, in honour of Tim Downing and his contributions to the occupational health and safety profession, is now open. Please circulate the attached bulletin throughout your organization, including your field personnel. For future access, the bulletin can also be downloaded from the CAODC Bulletins webpage or the CAODC OHS Scholarship webpage.
- General Bulletin G-17-03 (CAODC Safety Awards nominations): Please click here to review the full contents of this bulletin as it outlines information and instructions on how to properly submit your Award recipient nomination information to the CAODC. There are a few changes to be aware of this year, so please review carefully.
1) Members nominating individuals or crews for a Safety Excellence Award or Merit of Award can request that further recognition be provided through CAODC’s various social media channels. Refer to section 4 of the bulletin for further information;
2) Information for Rig Awards is no longer required to be submitted to the CAODC. Members that would like to continue purchasing Rig Award Overlays can still do so through the CAODC Store here.
Nominations for Scroll Awards must be submitted using an Excel (.xls) nomination form which can be obtained from Kelli Tonge([email protected]). Nomination forms that are submitted in any other format (e.g. .doc, .pdf etc.), or in a form that wasn’t circulated with this bulletin will be returned to the nominating company and will not be accepted until they meet the outlined criteria.
- General Bulletin G-17-04 (Retirement of Diesel Fuel Tanks): To all Registered Representatives, Land Drilling and Service Rig Contractor Members. In preparation for the upcoming renewal of Transport Canada Permit Agreement SH9280, members are required to verify all existing tank retirement information by March 1, 2017 using the online tracking tool provided by CAODC. Click here for the CAODC Bulletins webpage.See the attached bulletin for more information and instructions on how to use the online tracking tool. If you have any questions, please contact Steven Berg, [email protected] or (403) 264-4311 ext. 111.
CONFERENCES / WEBINARS
- Free Webinar for Businesses (Special payments and the end of employment): On Wednesday, March 1, 2017, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will host a free, interactive webinar about special payments and the end of employment. The webinar will explain how to:
1) withhold taxes on retiring allowances, salary advances, retirement compensation allowances, and wages in lieu of termination notices
2) fill out a Record of Employment
Register for this webinar if you are one of the following: an employer, a worker, or someone interested in getting an in-depth understanding of your payroll obligations. Participants can ask questions throughout the webinar. To register or for more information, click here.
- The Enform Petroleum Safety Conference: This year, the 66th annual Petroleum Safety Conference runs May 2-4, 2017 in Banff, Alberta. The program will examine lessons our industry and community learned from both the Fort McMurray wildfire and economic downturn. Lessons focused on emergency response, crisis communication, safety culture transformation, mental well-being and resiliency. Click here for more information or to purchase tickets.
- Oil & Gas Celebration Day: On Monday, February 13, 2017, the 70th Anniversary of the Leduc #1 discovery was proclaimed Oil & Gas Celebration Day throughout Alberta. Read the blog entry for the whole story.
- OR on the Road: John and Jess were at Queen’s University in Toronto for their Oil & Gas Speaker Series (January 28, 2017)
- OR on the Road: John and Jess were at the University of Toronto for the Generation Screwed Action Forum (February 4, 2017)
- OR on the Road: John was at SAIT’s SPS Industry Night (February 16, 2017)
- OR on the Road: John and Mark will be presenting at the Drumheller Chamber of Commerce Lunch and Learn (March 21, 2017)
- Warm up with an Oil Respect toque: On sale now in our e-store. One size fits all!
- Calendar Blowout! 2017 is upon us and we still have a few 2017 fundraising calendars. We’re dropping the price to $10/ea until they’re gone! Click here to order.
- Join our new Research Committee! We’re looking for Drilling and Well Servicing members who want to volunteer on a new CAODC committee dedicated to brainstorming ideas for Oil Respect memes and other social media messaging. Please email [email protected] for more information on this new committee!
- Want to host an Oil Respect meet-up at your company? Please email [email protected] to set up an Oil Respect Town Hall for your company!
THE HITCH & SOCIAL MEDIA
- Advertising: Please consider running an ad in the Hitch magazine, Hitch blog, or our Rig Inventory & Directory. Please contact [email protected] for more information.
- We Need You! We at The Hitch are always looking for story ideas and photos. Consider submitting yours to [email protected].
- Social Media: We want to hear from you! Join our conversations on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.